Southeast Asia in recent years has been considered as a fashionable destination for international visitors, not only because of the low travel cost and the open visa policy, but also the beautiful scenery and diverse culture and convenient international flight routes. Normally, visitors to Southeast Asia will choose familiar destinations such as Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam and often forget about a pristine pearl located in the corner of the map: Laos. Indeed, Laos offers visitors everything they can imagine of Southeast Asia: a mysterious culture, friendly people, delicious cuisine and above all is the most pristine scenery.
1. How many days to visit Laos?
Southeast Asia or Indochina is a large area and has a lot to explore. Normally, a vacation lasts only 2 to 3 weeks, not enough for you to explore the whole area. You only select your most favorite destinations best and the suitably distribute the visiting time. Laos is not the most beautiful or featured country in Southeast Asia. People often combine their trip to Laos with Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam, and of course, Thailand or Vietnam is given priority over time. Laos is a small country and the most famous places are located in 2 or 3 major cities.
Laos is the only country in South East Asia does not border with the sea, but South Laos has a destination called “4000 Islands”. To reach Laos from Europe, the easiest and cheapest way is to fly from your country to Bangkok (about $600) then book a flight with local airlines such as AirAsia, Nok Air to Luang Prabang or Vientiane ($50 to $80).
3. International flight
Laos has borders with Vietnam in the east, Thailand to the west and Cambodia in the south. It is possible to travel by road between these countries. However, I recommend traveling by plane, usually from Thailand and Vietnam is most convenient. The frequency of flights is from 1 to 2 flights a day. Major international airports in Laos include Luang Prabang, Vientiane, and Pakse. Some reliable airlines are Laos Airlines and Vietnam Airlines.
Applying visa to Laos is quite simple: just fill out the visa form at the airport or international border gate and pay a $35 fee.
5. Domestic transportation
To travel between Laos tourist destinations, you can easily find long-distance buses, motorbike. If you have a higher budget, I recommend renting a private car or taxi.
6. Weather, climate, best time to visit
Laos has a tropical continental climate: in the rainy season from April to September, the weather is very (31 to 34 Celsius degrees) and there are heavy rains at the end of the season. In dry season from October to Marc, the weather is dry and cool (27 to 29 Celsius degrees). This is also the best time to visit Laos. Water on the river is also flowing more slowly and waterfalls are also clearer.
The weather in Laos is very hot and sunny: 33 to 35 degrees. You should wear a sun visor, bring an umbrella and continuously supply water to your body when coming here.
View this post on Instagram
Lào vẫn chưa có ca #covid_19 nào đâu, sau đợt này Minh sẽ quảng cáo nhiệt tình cho #Laos #voyageursdumonde #blogvoyage #여행에미치다 #혼여행 #세계일주 #세계여행 #배낭여행 #여행일기 #여행블로거 #여자혼자여행 #혼자여행 #podroz #podróże #podróż #podróżemałeiduże #podróżnik #wycieczka #blogppodrozniczy #wakacje #zwiedzamy #przygoda #wpodróży #droga #wdrodze #przygody #odaucungchup #odcc #vscovietnam
Unless you are interested in exploring the wilderness or exploring ethnic minorities, you should only spend four to five days in Laos. In this post, I show you the most famous places in Laos and you can discover the most typical culture, life, and scenery.
Below is the most typical travel itinerary to Laos:
- Fly to Luang Prabang, visit the two most famous temples: Wat Visoun and Wat Aham.
- Climbing Phousi Mountain to have a panoramic view of the city
- Visit night market.
- Cruising in the morning on the Mekong River to visit Pak Ou and Kuangsi waterfall
- Visit the Royal Palace and Wat Xieng Thong in the afternoon
- Walking around the city in the evening
- Transfer by car/plane to Vientiane
- Visit Buddha Park in the afternoon
- Enjoy dinner on the Mekong River
- Visit Wat Prakeo, Wat Sisaket, Patuxay Gate and Pha That Luang. End of the trip
8. Most famous attractions in Laos
This is the most famous tourist city in Laos and where tourists spend most of the time. It is also the first capital of Laos with a history of nearly 800 years. The city is located beside Mekong River, with the total area of only a few square kilometers but has a high density of relics: centuries-old French colonial villas, hundreds of temples and small streets of Southeast Asia style.
The outskirt of Luang Prabang has many other attractions such as Kuangsi Waterfall, where you can capture photos and take a bath, take a boat to Pak Ou Cave watching hundreds of large and small Buddha images, and visit the weaving handicraft village of H’mong people.
Vientiane has been the capital of Laos since 1563 and is the place where the French set up government protection. Therefore, Vientiane has the look of a European city with neat planning and a series of buildings bearing colonial architecture. Vientiane is probably the only capital in the world located on the border – the Mekong River, delimited with Thailand. There are many beautiful temples in Vientiane that contain the collections of precious Buddha statues. For instance, in the suburbs of Vientiane, there is a relic consist of very elaborate concrete Buddha statues named Buddha Park, built in the 1960s. Although not very valuable historical and architectural, it is an ideal place to take photos with its bizarre space.
After visiting Luang Prabang, you can spend a day relaxing in Vang Vieng – the paradise of backpackers with many activities such as boat trip on Nam Song River, bathing in Blue Lagoon, or zipline in the jungle. Vang Vieng is very romantic but very crowded and crowded tourists so I do not like this city very much.
9. Religion in Laos
– Lao people mainly follow Buddhism so that behave very gentle and friendly. Laos is also very peaceful and rarely violent.
– Show special respect for the monk when coming to Laos. You need to ask for their permission to take pictures of them, do not touch their bodies and step on their shadows when going outdoors in the sun.
– When entering the temple in Laos you should dress politely and cover the body parts such as shoulders, thighs, and waist.
10. Laos gastronomy
– Lao food is not as diverse as in Thailand and Vietnam but quite tasty and spicy. Some typical dishes are sticky rice, lap, rice noodles and grilled river fish. Do not forget to drink Lao beer, it tasted very fresh and cool.
11. Useful tips
– In big cities like Luang Prabang and Vientiane, you can easily find the banks with the ATM counters. Hotel, restaurants and tour services here are quite good.
– Lao people work and live very slowly creating a lifestyle typical of the country.