Kanchanaburi is one of the most visited destination in Thailand thanks to rich historic values and breathtaking natural beauty. Let’s discover this city with our short travel guide below.
1. Where is Kanchanaburi ?
Kanchanaburi is located in the Central Thailand and borders with Burma (Tanintharyi region, Mon state and Karen state). It is crossed by the Kwaï River and the Kwaï Yai, whose confluence forms the Mae Klong, which flows into the Bay of Bangkok.
2. Why we should visit ?
Possessing the breathtaking and charming natural beauty, Kanchanaburi has become a major tourist attraction for tourists when traveling to Thailand with many attractions such as famous waterfalls and caves inhabited from the era new rocks, pristine national park, calm river, primeval forests and vast lakes. Along with that, these attractions also have many interesting experiences for visitors such as fishing, river rafting, canoeing, mountain biking, bird watching, golf, elephant visiting and Elephant ride to explore the jungle or experience bamboo rafting in Kanchanaburi.
3. Best time to visit ?
The climate in Kanchanaburi has four distinct seasons. The dry season falls between January and February, followed by the hot season from March to May, the rainy season from June to October, and the cool season from November to December. You can travel in any period depending on your preference. Because every season, Kanchanaburi has its own beauty and extremely attractive experiences. In the rainy season, the number of tourists is not too crowded, so you can explore it to your delight. And especially finding accommodation with affordable prices is even easier and more convenient.
4. What to visit?
● River Kwai Bridge is famous for the 1957 Oscar-winning film of the same name. On this bridge there is the railway connecting Central Thailand with Myanmar. The story begins in 1942, from the ambition of the Japanese occupation to build a railway connecting Nong Pladuk in central Thailand to Thanbyuzayat in Myanmar for the transportation of weapons in preparation for the goal of invading India through Myanmar and also to transfer plundered things in Myanmar, especially gold, silver and precious stones, to Japan.
To build this route, the Japanese brought here more than 200,000 inhabitants from occupied Asia and more than 60,000 Allied prisoners were captured by the Japanese on the battlefields of the Pacific and Southeast Asia in WWII.
Hell life in Death Railway ended when the Japanese were defeated. In total, more than 16,000 prisoners and approximately 100,000 residents died in the nearly 2 years of the construction of this route.
● 7-storey Erawan Waterfall, falling from many small waterfalls combined, through tree-lined lakes, is considered one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Thailand.
● Sai Yok Yai Waterfall has water flowing straight into the River Kwai Noi, belonging to Sai Yok National Park where the Japanese army camp and prisoners’ tents were located in WWII.
● Prasat Muang Sing History Park
Located in the north of the city on the river Kwai Noi. The main architecture of this park is close to the architecture of Angkor, believed to be the most western outpost of the Khmer Empire with Angkor as its center. Carvings, worshiping statues and other relics here testify to the prosperity of the city from XII sec. – XIV sec.
Like many other tourist destinations, Kanchanaburi night market is a street snack paradise with all kinds of attractive Thai dishes on sale. These are fresh seafood and fruit that are sure to satisfy all the criteria of deliciousness.
● Private car rental: If you travel in a large group, renting a private car is the most convenient.
● Train: Kanchanaburi is known as a historic road, so it is ideal if you experience the feeling of riding a train on the famous Death Railway. However, in return, the service for tourists is not as good as taking the bus!
6. Hotel / homestay
Khachanaburi has a lot of motels, hotels and resorts to meet all your needs. The most prominent is the resorts located along the river that look very beautiful and idyllic. You can refer to some places such as:
U Inchantree Kanchanaburi****
Away Dheva Mantra Resort*****